Wednesday, March 19, 2014

St. Frances Cabrini: Savannah


I had the pleasure of visiting the parish of St. Frances Cabrini in Savannah, Ga over this St. Patrick's Day weekend. I liked church the second I entered. Perhaps it was the rainy weather but something about the building was so inviting and nonthreatening. No need to be nervous or intimidated- just open and honest- "come on in", it seemed to say. My friends and I were greeted first by the pastor, Fr. Gabe who was warmly shaking hands, smiling, and ushering parishioners into the sanctuary. After we found our seats I looked around church and noticed several men and women wearing red blazers. Later, a priest friend of mine identified these friendly souls as the ushers. He said the red blazers were a church tradition and (added with a smile) that the blazers were likely thirty years old. The cantor called the congregation together for the opening song only after asking that all visitors identify themselves by standing or raising their hands. We shyly raised our hands and were immediately greeted by people around us. 



St. Francis Cabrini, the parishes namesake, was the youngest of 13 children. Mother Cabrini responded to prophetic word given to her by a superior in which she was told "you are called to establish another Institute that will bring new glory to the Heart of Jesus."  
She was 27 years old when she started that order. I think Frances Cabrini must've been a woman of extraordinary courage. As I prayed in the santuary I felt the warmth and love of a family. I noticed Father Gabe addressing his parishioners as "dear ones," and instantly sensed the love of a father for his children. As those sitting around us warmly greeted us I began to think of the courageous young adult who after watching 12 siblings leave her family home opted to begin a new family in the form of a religious order. You don't become a parish family overnight in the same way that you don't raise 13 children overnight. It takes dedication, courage, patience, faith, and loyalty to make a family. I think Frances Cabrini would feel right at home in this parish. Having had 12 siblings she would know all about the importance of a personal role within a family a trait that the people of this parish understand and take very seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment